City of Red Wing

Theft and Identity Theft

These tips are designed to help residents take action to deal with the loss of any of these items or from any resulting identity theft.

If keys are taken
Change or re-key corresponding locks.

If checks or credit cards are taken
Notify your bank immediately and then call the three credit reporting bureaus to report the loss and ask them to put a FRAUD ALERT on your record so NO NEW CREDIT will be issued without verification of your identity.

If a social security card was taken
Call the Social Security Administration FRAUD HOTLINE to notify them of the loss and get information on how to get a duplicate card.

S.S.A. Fraud Hotline - 1.800.269.0271

If a drivers license is taken
Apply for a new license and “flag” your license as stolen at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

(Identity Theft) Driver Evaluation 651.296.2025

If new checks or cards have been mailed to a different address
Call the United States Postal Inspector about mail being falsely forwarded at 1.800.372.8347

Local Postal Inspector: 651.293.3200
FAX 651.293.3384

If stolen checks or cards have been used
Contact the banks and/or businesses that accepted your checks or cards to notify them of the fraud and offer to sign any affidavits of forgery as needed. Encourage the banks and businesses to pursue charges against any identified suspects.

If someone has stolen your identity to get new credit
Call the Police Department and make an identity theft report. In Minnesota, Identity Theft becomes a crime only when any victim (person or business) suffers a monetary loss. Also call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline at 1.877.438.4338 to notify them and get advice on how to proceed.

For more information please visit

To report fraud other than identity theft to the FTC, call 1.877.382.4357.

Other internet resources and information