Sister Cities Commission
Staff Liaison: Lisa Acker: email@example.com Phone: 651.385.5113
Council Liaison: Kim Beise: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 651.261.1859
The Sister Cities Commission promotes cultural exchange between cities of different nations to foster strengthened economics, world peace and a greater understanding of the world issues. The City of Red Wing has two official sister cities – Ikata, Japan and Quzhou, China. The commission also has an informal relationship with Drammen, Norway. The Sister Cities Commission can have up to 15 members appointed by the Mayor.
The Sister Cities Commission is currently looking for members. If you would be interested in joining the Sister Cities Commission, please complete the Boards and Commissions application.
Application to join the Sister Cities Commission
The Sister Cities Commission meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 5:00 p.m. with ODD months meeting live in the City Council Chambers and EVEN months workshop meetings in the Mississippi Room, City Hall. The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 5 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, City Hall, 315 West Fourth Street, Red Wing.
Sister Cities Commission Members
- Wanda Hayes - Vice Chairperson
- Matt Quinn - Chairperson
- Benjamin Schmidt
- Angela Haiyun Hu
- Emilie Thiessen
- Cyndi Reese
- Martha English
- Katelyn Callstrom (ex-officio)
- Bill Foot
- Casey Mathern (ex-officio)
- Meyer Beckner
To view Sister Cities Commission meeting agendas, minutes and vidoes, please click on: http://red-wing.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2
Are you a student or chaperone that is interested in being part of this exchange program? If so, please click on the link below:
Student Application: /media/files/sistercities/IKATA-APPLICATION.pdf (Deadline for 2017 has already expired) CURRENTLY CLOSED
Chaperone Application: /media/files/Ikata Chaperone Application and Requirements.pdf (CURRENTLY CLOSED)
Chaperone Application Process: (CLOSED)
- All “complete” applications submitted will be reviewed by the commission and applicants will be contacted by email or telephone to set up a time to interview with an assembled panel between March 24-29, 2017.
- The Sister Cities Commission plans to hold a Special Meeting on March 30 at 5:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers to select the 2017 Ikata chaperone.
- The Sister Cities Commission has approved a $2,000.00 scholarship to be applied towards the airline/tour package expenses for the selected chaperone.
- Additional funding could be available to the chaperone through the grant application process and fundraising efforts of the selected students and chaperone.
Application Submission Instructions:
Return application as a PDF file to Sister Cities Staff Liaison – Lisa Acker at email@example.com or drop off your completed paper application in person at City Hall (315 West Fourth Street, Red Wing) between 8-4:30 Monday-Friday. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 651-385-5113 or by e-mail.
For more information on the Student Exchange, click here.
Ikata and Red Wing come together! The purpose of this site http://theflyingmikan.blogspot.com/ is to provide information to students and host families participating in our summer exchange program. Posts will be uploaded in English and Japanese. It also provides links to the Ikata Town website, the Ikata/Red Wing Facebook page, and the Ikata Wiki page.
Red Wing Sister Cities is now on Facebook! Become a fan today.