Sister Cities Commission
Staff Liaison: Lisa Acker: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 651.385.5113
Council Liaison: Kim Beise: E-mail: email@example.com Phone: 651.261.1859
The Sister Cities Commission promotes cultural exchange between cities of different nations to foster strengthened economics, world peace and a greater understanding of the world issues. The City of Red Wing has two official sister cities – Ikata, Japan and Quzhou, China. The commission also has had a very informal relationship with Drammen, Norway. The Sister Cities Commission can have up to 15 members appointed by the Mayor.
The Sister Cities Commission is currently looking for members. If you would be interested in joining the Sister Cities Commission, please complete the Boards and Commissions application.
Application to join the Sister Cities Commission
The Sister Cities Commission meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 5:00 p.m. with ODD months meeting live in the City Council Chambers and EVEN months workshop meetings in the Mississippi Room, City Hall. The next meeting is the annual meeting and has been rescheduled for Wednesday, January 17 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at 315 West 4th Street, Red Wing, MN 55066.
- Matt Quinn - Chairperson
- Wanda Hayes - Vice Chairperson
- Angela Haiyun Hu
- Emilie Thiessen
- Cyndi Reese
- Katelyn Callstrom (ex-officio)
- Bill Foot
- Casey Mathern (ex-officio)
- Meyer Beckner
To view Sister Cities Commission meeting agendas, minutes and vidoes, please click on: http://red-wing.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2
The Sister Cities Commission is now accepting applications for students grades 8th -11th that are interested in taking part in the Ikata, Japan student exchange. Upto six students are selected each year to travel with one chaperone to Ikata, Japan.
Are you a student or chaperone that is interested in being part of this exchange program? If so, please click on the link below:
Student Application: /media/files/2018 Student Application - 11-8-2017.pdf - (CLOSED)
Chaperone Application: /media/files/Ikata Chaperone Application.pdf - (CLOSED)
Chaperone Guidelines and Expectations
Chaperone AND Student Application Process:
- All “complete” applications submitted will be reviewed by the commission and applicants will be contacted by email or telephone to set up a time to interview with an assembled panel in December.
- The Sister Cities Commission plans to hold a Special December Meeting in the City Council Chambers to select the 2018 students and chaperone.
- The Sister Cities Commission typically provides scholarship funds for the chaperone and students travelling to Ikata. The amount varies each year.
- Additional funding could be available to the chaperone and students through the grant application process and fundraising efforts of the selected students and chaperone.
Application Submission Instructions:
Return application as a PDF file to Sister Cities Staff Liaison – Lisa Acker at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off your completed paper application in person at City Hall (315 West Fourth Street, Red Wing) between 8-4:30 Monday-Friday. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 651-385-5113 or by e-mail.
For more information on the Student Exchange, click here.
Ikata and Red Wing come together! The purpose of this site http://theflyingmikan.blogspot.com/ is to provide information to students and host families participating in our summer exchange program. Posts will be uploaded in English and Japanese. It also provides links to the Ikata Town website, the Ikata/Red Wing Facebook page, and the Ikata Wiki page.
Red Wing Sister Cities is now on Facebook! Become a fan today.