Holiday Refuse and Recycling Hints and Reminders
Tuesday, December 29 2009 12:00 AM
Especially during the holidays, recycling and refuse crews need help from residents to maintain efficiencies and keep routes manageable. With the extra volume of holiday recyclables, the following tips will help reduce the possibility of crews missing pickups and allow them to continue to provide efficient service:
- Recycling and refuse containers need to be placed at the curb before 6:00 a.m. the day of service. Containers must be accessible and visible. Plastic, tin and aluminum placed in paper grocery bags are easier to load. Plastic bags can be used but should not be tied.
- Newsprint, magazines and catalogs should be placed in paper grocery bags. Cardboard can be in the same bag if space allows.
- Flatten all cardboard and limit the size to two feet by three feet. Please bundle and tie it together if it won't fit inside a standard recycling bin.
- Separate all glass by color - clear, green/blue and brown. Please bag all glass to prevent breakage. Paper bags are best, plastic bags are acceptable if left untied.
- Residents are not required to use standard blue recycling bins, but crews do look for clearly marked containers. If recycling is placed out in bags without a bin, crews may not be sure if it is recyclables. To purchase a blue recycling bin, stop by Public Works or the Integrated Solid Waste Management Campus.
- There are two different crews who pick up garbage and recycling.