On January 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM, the Red Wing Fire Department received a call reporting
a structure fire at 3512 Kosec Drive.
Firefighter/paramedics were on the scene within 9 minutes of receiving the call. On arrival the
house was occupied and filled with light smoke. Occupants were escorted from the residence as
firefighters began extinguishing the fire. The fire was extinguished approximately 5 minutes after
arrival. There were no injuries to occupants or emergency responders.
The residence is owned by Shelly and Denise Simanski. They awoke when smoke detectors
sounded and then called 911.
The fire was located within a wall on the lower level of the home, directly below a fireplace on
the floor above. Firefighters had to disassemble the wall to extinguish the fire. Fire damage was
contained to the area of origin. There was minimal structural damage and minimal smoke
damage. The occupants were able to return to the home after the fire was extinguished.
Apparatus used on the scene included 1fire engine, 1ambulance and 1 support vehicle. A total
of 7 full-time firefighters worked at the scene for approximately 2 hours performing overhaul and
checking for fire extension. The cause of the fire is related to the design and installation of the
“Working smoke detectors and fire escape planning are the most effective tools to help ensure a
safe escape”, said Fire Chief Tom Schneider. “The Red Wing Fire Department recommends
creating and practicing a home fire escape plan, testing smoke detectors monthly and changing
smoke detector batteries twice each year.”
The mission of the Red Wing Ambulance and Fire Department is to enhance the safety and
security of the community by providing cost effective protection of life and property, through fire
prevention, public education, fire suppression and emergency medical care.
Brad Kimball, Fire Captain
Red Wing Fire Department