The HPC is encouraging residents to hike Barn Bluff in the afternoon. This is an opportunity for residents/past residents to rediscover the bluff they climbed as children and for newer residents to enjoy the hike and views for the first time.
Barn Bluff is one of the best-known natural features along the upper Mississippi River. It is significant for its geology and its association with prehistoric and native peoples. It is also significant for its association with the exploration of the Upper Mississippi in the early nineteenth century. A many-layered interpretation of Barn Bluff is evident in local legend, as well as in published historical and scientific accounts, works of art, and photography.
From the mid 1800s' to 1908, stone from Barn Bluff was used as a building material, rip-rap by the railroad, and for the production of lime. Although the stone industry was important to the local economy, residents protested the resulting defacing of the bluff and eventually saved Barn Bluff. Several abandoned quarries and the G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln (at the northeast corner of the bluff) remain as reminders of Red Wing's limestone industry. Barn Bluff was formally presented to the City of Red Wing for a park in 1910 and was placed on The National Register of Historic Places on August 8, 1990.
For more information or for group signup, contact Assistant Planning Director Steve Kohn at 385-3622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.