Each year the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission presents its Awards of Merit to individuals, institutions, and businesses who have been involved in exceptional local historic preservation projects. The Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission held its annual Heritage Preservation Award of Merit Ceremony on Thursday, May 23, 2013 in the recently renovated historic barn at the Anderson Center for Interdisciplinary Studies at Tower View. The Heritage Preservation Commission recognized the following five (5) Award of Merit recipients for their contributions to help preserve Red Wing’s heritage:
Kirsten and Gary Fridell
503 Summit Avenue
For the preservation of their home at 503 Summit Avenue. The Arts and Crafts home was built in 1917 and purchased by the Fridells in 1973. The restoration began in 1979 with an addition constructed by the Forsberg Brothers which matches the exterior siding and window and roof detail. Exterior work has included painting the building and the installation of new double hung windows throughout the upstairs. The kitchen was extended and upgraded in a manner sensitive to the historical home. The oak and maple flooring has been restored and refinished throughout the house. An arch was reconstructed between the living room and dining room by Grant Wulff.
1715 W. 6th Street
For the exterior restoration and painting of his home at 1715 W. 6th Street. The Eastlake style influenced home was constructed in 1890 in the location of today’s Jefferson School and was relocated in 1915 to its present location. The project involved the scraping and repainting of the entire exterior of the building. Exterior work included the restoration of the wrap-around porch to its original open layout.
Tim and Deena Nelson
342 E. 5th Street
For the interior and exterior renovation of their home. The Dutch Colonial style home was constructed during the turn of the century (between 1890s and 1921) and purchased by the Nelsons in 2011. Exterior work included replacing windows with matching styled double hung windows, repainting the entire exterior of the building and restoration of the porch to its original open layout. Interior work included restoration and refinishing of the oak, fir, and maple floors and replacement of many six-panel oak doors. Spindles and treads were replaced and the entire interior staircase refinished. Historically sensitive restorations of the bathrooms were also completed.
Peter and Lynn Dulak
420 Jefferson Street
The Victorian Eastlake style influenced house at 420 Jefferson Street was built circa 1893 and purchased by Peter and Lynn Dulak in 1988. At time of purchase, the house had been converted to an upstairs/downstairs duplex and the Dulaks converted the house back into a single-family dwelling. Victorian doorway moldings were reproduced to match the original style at a mill works in Elgin, Minnesota and installed throughout the interior. Walls and ceilings were repaired throughout the house and restored Victorian light fixtures were purchased and installed. Missing 5-panel interior doors were replaced with salvaged 5-panel doors. The electrical service was updated and wiring was replaced. Cracked plaster that had been covered with paneling was repaired and sawdust insulation was replaced with fiberglass batts and fire blocks were placed between the 1st and 2nd floors of the balloon framing. Most of the double hung windows were replaced with Marvin insulated glaze windows of the same style. In 1997, a 24’ x 24’ family room was added, along with a basement recreation room below, and a new master bedroom above. A two car attached garage was also added. The addition was designed to match the original Victorian house design with new cedar lap siding and redwood trim installed, along with insulated glaze double hung windows to match original. The Dulaks researched Victorian gable gingerbread design on houses in Minnesota and Wisconsin and designed and built gable gingerbread to fit the Victorian style of our house. The Dulaks have been on a 25 year journey of restoration, improving and upkeeping this Victorian house.
149 Tower View Drive
For the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Tower View Estate’s historic barn and silo as a multi-use meeting facility. The project, completed in 2012, has several unusual building guidelines that make it unique and exceptional. On the barn exterior, the original board and batten was replaced in the original design pattern, the roof was insulated and new galvanized roof shingles were used to replace the original roof covering, and original styled windows were added to the north and south elevation to allow for much needed light in the interior. In order to maintain the original design requirements of the exterior, the historic slate-gray and white trim colors were maintained throughout the restoration. In the interior loft level of the barn, the dynamic wood interior was cleaned and sealed to preserve its historic look and original construction, the existing hand-hewn cross bracing was raised to a height of nine feet to maintain structural integrity and to open the space for unobstructed use, and the access was rebuilt and extended from the north end of the barn to the existing outdoor roof deck terrace overlooking the back pasture and Cannon River Valley.
The ground level portion of the silo became part of the new east entrance vestibule and was equipped with a circular staircase leading to the barn loft. The silo’s cone-shaped roof was fitted with new copper sheeting, insulation, and exterior tiles reflecting the original silo structure.
Since 1999, the Center has undertaken a comprehensive restoration of all buildings listed on the National Historic Register. The Center received a 2000 Preservation Award from the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota and awards of merit in 2000, 2004 and 2007 from the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission.