City of Red Wing

Can I Burn in Red Wing?

Open burning is done by permit process only.  If a Red Wing resident wishes to burn on their property, they must first apply for a permit with the City of Red Wing. 

In accordance with Section 105.6.30 of the Minnesota State Fire Code (MSFC), the party wanting such permit shall make application to the Permits and License Manager for an operational  permit at least three days prior to the date on which burning shall commence.  Open burning is prohibited when burning restrictions or bans are in place.

The applicant must thoroughly read all rules and regulations on the permit application form and be willing and able to abide by all regulations listed.  The application fee is $15.00 for single family dwellings.  Additional fees apply for multifamily dwellings, lot clearing, or commercial properties.  The permit is valid for six weeks starting from the date of application. 

Permit applications can be applied for and submitted electronically online by following the link below.  Permit applications may also be received from and submitted to the Permits and License Manager at the Community Development Building at 419 Bush St. Red Wing MN 55066.  

Please click here to apply for a City of Red Wing burning permit online.  

Applicants will be notified by email or phone of any current burning restrictions or bans during the dates of their permit.  The MN DNR guidelines are used to determine restrictions and bans.  Those guidelines can be found here.  

Applicants that reside outside of Red Wing city limits must apply for a permit through the MN DNR.  Follow the link below to apply for a permit through the DNR

Please click here to apply for a DNR burning permit online.    (Non Red Wing residents only)

The City of Red Wing does offer alternatives to burning.  Residents can haul their brush and other yard debris to the Solid Waste Campus.  Leaves and grass clippings may be dropped off year round at no charge.  Brush may be dropped off year round for a nominal fee.  In most cases this fee may be less than a burning permit application fee.  Also, twice per year in the spring and fall brush may be dropped off at no charge.  Contact Red Wing Public Works for applicable dates and times. 

If you have additional question or concerns, please do not hesitate to call the Fire Prevention Office at 651-385-3694.