Rental License Program
WHY? So every tenant has a safe and healthy place to live.
Red Wing is committed to making sure every tenant has a safe and healthy place to live. The program starts January 1, 2022. Scroll down for additional information and resources.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Landlords: Register Now
All landlords and property owners who rent out residential housing units in the City of Red Wing must register their properties.
License fees are $40 per unit per year and are due January 1, 2022. Here's how to pay:
1. Mail a check to the City of Red Wing, Community Development Building, 419 Bush Street, Red Wing, MN 55066, Attention: Rental License Division OR
2. Deliver the fee in person to the above address. Enter through the front door off Bush Street and walk in the door to your left. Someone will assist you promptly.
Do you have a home safety concern right now? Call our City of Red Wing inspections department at 651-385-5136. Our inspectors may be able to assist.
- Health and Safety Checklist (PDF)
- Inspection Zone Map (PDF)
- Q&A - Rental License Program (PDF)
- Rental License Fees (PDF)
- 2022 Rental License Program & Landlord/Tenant Resources Brochure (PDF)
- 2022 Rental License Program & Landlord/Tenant Resources Brochure - Spanish (PDF)
- Rental License Ordinance No. 166 (PDF)
Landlord & Tenant Rent Assistance
- Red Wing HRA Offers housing opportunities and rental assistance through local, state, and federal programs. You can also call 1-651-388-7571.
- Three Rivers Community Action - Assists Goodhue, Olmsted, Rice, and Wabasha counties. You can also call 1-800-277-8418.
Landlords and Tenants Rights and Responsibilities
- MN Attorney General's Booklet: English Version
- MN Attorney General's Booklet: Spanish Version
- Tenant rights at the end of Covid eviction moratorium
- Tenant Rights When Vacating Your Apartment
- Be Aware of Rental Scams
Free Advocacy and Legal Help for Tenants
- Homeline: A Minnesota nonprofit tenant advocacy organization
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services: Free assistance to low-income and senior citizens (age 60+). Phone: 1-888-575-2954.
- Legal Aid Phone: 1-800-292-4150
- MN Legal Advice
- Volunteer Lawyers Network Phone: 1-612-752-6677
Mobile Home (Manufactured Home Parks) Handbook
Schedule & Documents
Key Steps in the Program's Planning, Approval, and Implementation
- Property Registration Form was sent out with all Utility Bills in late October, 2021 so landlords can register their properties with the City of Red Wing, as the program requires.
- On August 9, 2021, City Council adopted Ordinance No. 166, officially establishing the Rental License Program. View the meeting segment and read the full report.
- On July 26, 2021, City Council held a public hearing and listened to the public. Council then unanimously approved a first reading (an introduction) of the ordinance (law). View the meeting segment and read the full report.
- On June 14, 2021, staff presented the updated program basics and Council listened to public input. View the meeting segment and read the full report.
- On May 20, 2021, staff held a virtual public meeting. View the meeting.
- On April 26, 2021, staff provided a brief overview at the Council meeting. View the meeting portion here or read the summary materials here.
- On March 24, 2021, City Council held a workshop to discuss key elements of the program. The virtual meeting was open to the public. View the meeting here. You can also read the minutes and meeting materials.
- On November 10, 2020, City Council held a workshop to review tenant survey results and discuss more details for the proposed program. The virtual meeting was open to the public. View the meeting here. You can also read the minutes and meeting materials.
- The week of October 14, 2020, flyers and surveys were sent to all Red Wing tenants. Read the survey report.