Green Wing Reenergize My Nonprofit Challenge
What is the Reenergize My Nonprofit Energy Challenge?
- A three-month challenge bringing together your nonprofit – to improve the environment, save energy and save money!
- A fun way to enlighten, engage and promote energy efficiencies.
- An opportunity for volunteers, board members and employees to come together, save energy, save money, and earn points and prizes!
Reenergize My Nonprofit Toolkit:
This package of information includes tools you can use to start your Challenge activities:
- Energy Goal Meter: Flyer showing energy goals of your nonprofit to share.
- Case Studies (PDF): See firsthand how others have benefited from energy saving programs.
- Helpful Energy-Saving Reminders (PDF): To include in eNewsletters, social media or other communications channels.
- Promotional Program Materials (PDF): To motivate your volunteers, board members and employees to take part and rack up points!
- Point Sheet (PDF): Track all your points on the easy to use grid.
How do I get points?
It’s easy! Partake in any of the following energy saving activities to earn points for your nonprofit. Below are the details on each energy saving activities:
- Connect with the Neighborhood Energy Connection Energy Advisor Service
- Have an Xcel Energy Home Energy Audit
- Setup your Xcel Energy’s My Account
- Have a Home Energy Squad® visit
- Recycle your refrigerator (PDF) through Xcel Energy’s Refrigerator Recycling program
- Take advantage of one of Xcel Energy’s Residential Energy Efficiency Rebates
- Take advantage of one of the Center of Energy and Environment residential loans
- Subscribe to Xcel Energy’s Windsource®
Reenergize My Nonprofit Energy Challenge Details:
The Green Wing Reenergize My Nonprofit Challenge will run from January 15 through April 15. Participating nonprofits will earn points for volunteers, board members and employees completing any of the actions below. The Challenge will end April 15. Points will be tallied and Green Wing will award the winning nonprofit a FREE pizza party. Points will be self-reported and may be verified using Xcel Energy program participation records. A tracking sheet will be distributed monthly to record self-reported points. Self-reported points may be verified with Xcel Energy records before the final prizes are awarded. All tracking sheets should be returned by the 25th of each month for points to be reflected in that month’s tally. The exception will be the final month where you will have until April 30 to submit your points for activity completed by April 15.
For full details on each energy saving action below, visit the Green Wing Residents page.
- Energy Advisor Service Free home energy efficiency support, 1 point. Looking to improve the efficiency and comfort of your home, but not sure where to start? Or have problems with ice dams or cold spots but don't know how to solve them? Maybe you know what improvements to work on but have questions about financing, rebates or hiring qualified contractors. To get started or for more information, email the Neighborhood Energy Connection at email@example.com, call 651.328.6224 or visit www.thenec.org.
- Xcel Energy’s My Account Free tool to track residential energy use online, 1 point. Put yourself in control by managing your energy usage in the comfort of your own home, 24/7. You can view your energy usage by setting up access to your electric and natural gas accounts in My Account, Xcel Energy’s online account management dashboard. Register for your account at Xcel Energy Registration
- Home Energy Squad® Enhanced Energy experts who make house calls and help you learn how to improve your home’s efficiency and comfort, 1 point. The Home Energy Squad’s energy experts will deliver customized energy solutions to your front door… and your showerhead, faucets, and thermostat. The visit will even include a Home Energy Audit with thermal imaging and an assessment of air leaks. You’ll be amazed by how much they can get done in two hours, and your new, more energy-efficient home will continue to provide energy savings for years. Request an enhanced Home Energy Squad visit by calling 651-328-6221 or email Home Energy Scheduling.
- Refrigerator Recycling Get paid for recycling your working fridge or freezer, 1 point. Got an old refrigerator or freezer running in your basement or garage? It’s using more electricity than you think. So why not part with that old energy hog? Refrigerators and freezers contain refrigerants, oils and other compounds that, by federal law, must be removed and recovered. Consider recycling your working refrigerator or freezer for free? 1-800-599-5795 to schedule a pickup or visit xcelenergy.com/fridge for more information.
- Xcel Energy’s Residential Energy Efficiency Rebates and Programs Rebates to help you save on energy efficiency upgrades, 1 point per rebate. Save when you install high-efficiency equipment, enroll in efficiency rate programs, and change the way you use your energy. Submit a rebate for the following common home heating and cooling equipment. Visit Xcel Energy online for information on all available rebates and programs.
- Center for Energy and Environment Residential loans from a Minnesota-based energy nonprofit, 1 point. Apply for a loan or financing to complete Home Improvement projects. visit Center for Energy and Environment at www.mncee.org/services/financing/residential/ for more information.
- Windsource® Subscribe to get residential electricity from wind power, 1 point per 300 KWH Block. As one of the nation's largest voluntary renewable energy programs, Windsource is an easy, inexpensive way to make a difference. Thanks to Windsource customers, the amount of renewable energy produced today is above and beyond government requirements and continues to grow. Visit Xcel Energy online or call 1-800-895-4999.
- Get Social! Share, comment or post to about your energy saving actions on the City of Red Wing’s Facebook page at City of Red Wing Facebook. 1 point per social action, max 15.
How can my building save energy and money?
There are numerous ways for your actual nonprofit building to save money. Call Xcel Energy Business Solutions Center at 855-839-8862 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday and say “I’m a Red Wing nonprofit. What can I do to save energy and money?” You'll work with an energy efficiency specialist to identify your most critical energy priorities, and receive recommendations for your short and long term goals. Visit www.red-wing.org for more energy saving resources tailored just for nonprofits.
If you would like a local Green Wing representative to coach you through the process, please email Jay McCleary or Paul Cardinal, Green Wing business coaches. All participants and information are kept confidential.