The City of Red Wing has one wastewater treatment plant and one Industrial Pre-Treatment plant. The Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant provides wastewater treatment of residential, commercial and industrial wastewater. Currently, the Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant treats between 2.5 and 3 million gallons of wastewater per day. The solids extracted from the wastewater are heat-treated and the biosolids are applied on farmland as a liquid fertilizer.
The Industrial Wastewater Pre-treatment Plant provides wastewater treatment for S B. Foot Tanning Company, the Solid Waste Boiler Facility and other local companies.
Both plants are managed and operated by Public Works Department with a staff of four operators, one lab technician, and one facility manager.
Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant
The wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) is located at 1020 E 5th Street. this plant treats all the wastewater generated by the entire city including residential, commercial and industrial wastewater. The system is a trickling filter biological facility with micro-organisms doing the actual waste strength reduction. This biological treatment is augmented with mechanical solids handling and numerous fluid pumps that assist the process.
The water is released to the Mississippi River after treatment. The WWTP is permitted by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and Federal Environmental Protection Agency. They set standards for quality of treatment that are monitored continuously and reported to the MPCA monthly. This facility has been in operation continuously since 1960.
Industrial Pre-treatment Plant
The City of Red Wing owns and operates an industrial pretreatment facility located at 1877 Bench street. This facility processes 300,000 to 400,000 gallons per day and discharges that flow into the city sewer system to be sent to the municipal plant on 5th street. for final treatment. The flow entering this plant is primarily the wastewater from the SB. Foot Tannery with contributions from several other businesses located on Bench Street.