Between 1840 and 1850, two early pioneers to Burnside Township, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Spates, donated three acres of their farm for what would become the first cemetery in Goodhue County. Spates, in drawing up the deed, designated this cemetery to be known as Shiloh Cemetery. The origin of the name is not known, and years later was renamed Salem Cemetery, before finally coming to be known as Burnside Cemetery. In 1924, S. L. Morley donated the wrought iron gateway and fence in memory of his wife, Elizabeth (Thompson) Morley.
Between 1920 and 1930, Mrs. Lydia Anderson (wife of Dr. A. P. Anderson) provided an additional five acres to the land on the west. In 1934, Dr. A. P. Anderson contributed trees and a large section of the front fence in memory of his wife. In 1971, the City acquired Burnside Cemetery when Burnside Township was consolidated with the City of Red Wing.