Fire Companies & Other Notable Dates
Timeline of Fire Companies
- 1883 - Athletic Hose Company Number 2
- 1858 - Torrent Engine Company Number 1 - Reorganized from Protection Hook and Ladder Company. The Torrent Company failed to secure an engine so they disbanded.
- 1865 - Cataract Hose Company Number 1 - Reorganized from Torrent Eng. Company Number 1.
- 1869 - Niagara Engine Company Number 2 - Reorganized as LaGrange Engine Company Number 2
- 1873 - Red Wing Hose Company. Number 1 - Reorganized as German Hose Company Number 3
- 1875 - Champion Fire Extinguisher Company Number 1 - Disbanded
- 881 - Phoenix Hook and Ladder Company Number 4 - Reorganized from Champion extension Company Number
- 1860 – First firehouse built in downtown Red Wing on West 3rd Street.
- 1865 – Department purchases two hand pumped engines, and two hose carts second hand for $10.50.
- Item 3
- 1871 – Fire alarm bell installed in a tower behind the firehouse at a cost of $900.
- 1871 – The department purchases a Silsby steam fire engine.
- 1875 – Horse-drawn ladder truck purchased with 210 feet of ground ladders.
- 1880s – City builds three additional firehouses.
- 1885 – June 1, the Fire Department is reorganized under the direction of the City Council. The Fire Chief is appointed by the Council rather than elected by the department. Four hose companies and the Ladder Company are assigned to the four wards of the city.
- 1890s – Hose companies take possession of new horse-drawn hose wagons, each
outfitted with two ladders and 1,000 feet of hose.
- 1906 – Central Station is built in the new city hall building.
- 1906 – May 5, the paid department is created. Six men from the volunteer companies are selected and assigned to Central Station. In addition, three “sleepers” are hired to staff the # 4 House during the night. Hose Companies 2 and 3 are disbanded and all firehouses except #4 House in the West end are closed.
- 1907 – First ambulance is put into service.
- 1913 – First piece of motorized equipment is purchased.
- 1919 – Last horse is purchased for use by the department.
- 1925 – Department is completely motorized, last horse is sent out to pasture.
- 1926 – #4 House in the West end closes. All men and equipment assigned to Central.
- 1943 – Department receives International Organizational for Standardization (ISO) rating of 4 which is maintained today.
- 1972 – Burnside Township annexed by the city. Paid department manpower increases.
- 1976 –Paid firefighters trained to the level of Emergency Medical Technician Basic.
- 1983 – New station built and occupied at Fifth and Plum Streets.
- 1996 – 12 paid firefighters trained as Paramedics.