Police Department - ATV Ordinance
On March 22, 2010, the Red Wing City Council adopted an ordinance allowing restricted use of Class 2 ATVs on city streets. The Class of the ATV will be indicated on your DNR registration. This ordinance becomes effective April 10, 2010. Please note that Class 1 ATVs are not allowed to be operated on city streets.
Persons interested in operating Class 2 ATVs on city streets are encouraged to read the ordinance. A copy of the ordinance is available if you click here or a copy can be obtained at the Red Wing Police Department. An application for the permit, as well as the Insurance Verification form, can be found at the links below or can be obtained at the Red Wing Police Department. Cost of the permit is $30 and the permit is valid for one year.
Restrictions and Procedures for obtaining a permit are as follows:
- Must present proof of registration at the time of application.
- Registration must indicate that it is a Class 2 ATV.
- Must present proof of insurance.
- Operators must be at least 18-years of age and have a valid driver's license that would allow them to drive a motor vehicle in the State of Minnesota.
- Class 2 ATVs must be operated on the extreme right hand side of the roadway and no faster then 20 mph.
- Class 2 ATVs must not be operated in the "downtown district" which is defined as the portion of the City between East Avenue/Broad Street and Plum Street; and between Levee Street and Fourth Street.
- Class 2 ATVs must not be operated on trunk highways such as Highway #58 (Bush Street/Plum Street) and Highway #61 (Main Street), as provided in MN Statute Section 84.928, subd. 1(a).
- Class 2 ATVs must not be operated on Old West Main Street between Withers Harbor Drive and Highway #61.
- Required equipment: Rear view mirror or left and right side view mirrors; standard mufflers; brakes adequate to control movement; safety or so-called "deadman" throttle; at least two clear headlamps and two red tail lamps that are to be lit at all times; reflective material at least 16 inches square on each side forward of the steering wheel so as to reflect light at a 90 degree angle.
- No towing of people allowed.
- May only carry the number of passengers for which the Class 2 ATV is designed.
Applications for the Class 2 ATV Permit, as well as the Insurance Verification form, are available at the below links or can be picked up at the Red Wing Police Department Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Applications should be returned in person to the Red Wing Police Department. Proof of registration must be presented, along with the completed Insurance Verification form before a permit can be issued.
ATV Class 2 Permit Application
Insurance Verification Form
If you have further questions regarding the Class 2 ATV permit contact:
LaRae Ekblad 651-267-2604 OR Janelle Ahern 651-267-2613