On December 8 at 8:58pm, the Red Wing Fire Department received a call reporting smoke in the house at 814 Maple Street in Red Wing. The caller was suspecting a problem with the fireplace/chimney in the home.
Firefighter/paramedics were on scene within 3 1/2 minutes of receiving the call. All of the occupants were safely out of the house upon the Fire Department’s arrival.
Damage from the fire was contained to the immediate area surrounding the fireplace. There is, however, moderate smoke damage throughout the home. Initial activities included searching the building and removing wallboard and smoldering insulation from the fireplace wall.
Apparatus used on the scene included 1 fire engine, and 1 ambulance. A total of 5 full-time personnel worked at the scene for about 1 ½ hours.
One important step to take at the beginning of the fireplace season is to be sure that your chimney is clean and to have your chimney professionally inspected.
The mission of the Red Wing Fire Department is to enhance the safety and security of the community by providing cost effective protection of life and property, through fire prevention, public education, fire suppression and emergency medical care.
Contact: Jim Eppen
Red Wing Fire Department