The Red Wing Port Authority Strategic Plan is a living, working document. It establishes the Port's direction in its role as leader of economic development in Red Wing. This plan and all work of the Port Authority are guided by the Port Authority's Mission Statement: "The Port Authority is the primary leader for promoting economic and industrial development, together with identifying and coordinating redevelopment for the purpose of enhancing the tax base, promoting employment and contributing to the economic vitality and quality of life of the City of Red Wing."
The Port makes this promise to the citizens of Red Wing:
"The Red Wing Port Authority allows our city to proactively seek out, attract and retain businesses that add to the long-term vitality of our community."
This plan consists of goals that define the Port's broad economic development priorities and strategies - policies and methods - to achieve those goals. Tactics and measurable outcomes that specify the actions and activities to meet the goals are being developed.
This plan was based on input and data from previous work by several groups, including the report of the Mayor's Blue Ribbon Panel on Economic Development (June 2010), the Red Wing Downtown Action Plan (November 2009) and the Red Wing City Council Long-Term Strategic Plan (February 2012).
The Red Wing Port Authority will lead economic development for the Red Wing community by working toward five broad goals. The Port Authority will:
Goal One: Retain and support existing businesses to grow and prosper in Red Wing.
1. Capitalize on the strong manufacturing, education, health care, retail, and tourism industries in Red Wing by retaining and expanding businesses in these sectors.
2. Create an "economic development toolkit" for existing and expanding businesses. The toolkit will provide up-to-date information about opportunities and resources available in the community and region through the city, the Port Authority and other organizations.
3. Advocate for and support regional workforce development efforts.
4. Facilitate property searches and acquisitions suitable for business development and expansion.
Goal Two: Proactively pursue and attract new businesses to Red Wing.
1.Build on Red Wing's strong industrial core by attracting additional businesses across many sectors including manufacturing, education, health care, retail, and tourism.
2.Create a community environment that attracts innovative, emerging businesses.
3.Exploit Red Wing's lifestyle advantages in our marketing efforts.
4.Expand networking efforts and develop strong relationships to promote Red Wing at the regional, state, and national levels.
Goal Three: Support the creation of innovative, entrepreneurial and emerging businesses and technologies.
1. Maintain and expand financial resources for business growth and development.
2. Build support systems for entrepreneurial and new businesses.
Goal Four: Implement key planning for development and redevelopment projects.
1. Identify, plan for and facilitate infill and redevelopment projects.
2. Research and identify opportunities to attract and encourage development on Port-owned properties.
1. Promote positive communication between with the Red Wing community, stakeholders and various partner organizations.
2. Acquire and maintain financial resources to support skilled staff.
3. Recruit enthusiastic and qualified board members.
4. Encourage and provide resources and educational opportunities for staff and board development.
5. Leverage community resources and develop partnerships with individuals and groups in Red Wing, the region and the State to augment staff and board skills.