Memorial Park's view of the community, Mississippi River and bluffs of both Minnesota and Wisconsin should not be missed. The roadway off East Seventh Street is accessible spring through late fall. Once at the top of Sorin's Bluff, you'll see hiking and biking trails, picnic tables, charcoal grills, a 9 hole Frisbee golf course and open spaces to explore.
Memorial Park features a variety of Hiking, Mountain Bike and Snow Shoe & Cross Country Ski Trails.
Hiking Trails - Click here for a map of the Hiking Trails
Mountain Bike Trails - Click here for a map of the Mountain Bike Trails.
Snow Shoe & Cross Country Ski Trails - Click here for a map of the Winter Trails
When Memorial Park first was developed, picnic areas with overlooks were created in the two abandoned Carlson quarries atop Sorin's Bluff. Each has a sugar loaf rock formation that remained after mining ceased, and each offers spectacular views of the Mississippi River and Lake Pepin. In 2012-13, the quarries were cleared of dead trees and invasive vegetation by a joint citizen-city effort. The Red Wing Area Fund provided money for milling the quarry floors; refurbishing parking lots; and adding new trailheads, kiosks, fencing, fire rings, stone picnic tables and picnic grills in both quarries.
The Upper Quarry Area features a fire ring, 8 stone picnic tables, a picnic shelter, charcoal grills, parking area, toilet facilities and access to hiking trails.
The Picnic shelter can be reserved by printing out the Facility Use Request Form and mailing it back to the Public Works Department at 229 Tyler Road North in Red Wing, or faxing it to 651.388.0243. Shelter requests can also be e-mailed to Lori Richter at the Public Works Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional assistance, please contact us at 651.385.3674.
The shelter is available on a "first come first serve basis" after all paid reservations are honored. Please check the schedule of reservations posted on the shelter.
This shelter is a large open air shelter with 4 large stone picnic tables, and can accomodate approximately 24-30 people. One large charcoal grill is near the shelter for your use. Water and electricity are NOT AVAILABLE in this park.
Rates: $30.00 for 4 hours or less, or $50.00 for 4+ hours.
The Lower Quarry Area features a fire ring, 8 stone picnic tables, charcoal grills, parking area, toilet facilities and access to hiking trails.
Red Wing's lime industry started at the base of Barns Bluff where, in 1853 Phineas Fish operated a makeshift kiln. He gathered limestone debris from the bluff and reduced it to lime. More distant Sorin's Bluff didn't get into the lime picture for another 25 years. Then it challenged Barn Bluff for supremacy in Minnesota's lime center.
Quarrying ended around 1910, and activity on Sorin's quieted until Red Wing civic leaders of the Womens Community Assocation and Soldiers Memorial Association combined forces and started work on Memorial Park, a scenic Sorin's Bluff retreat dedicated to soldiers of all wars.
They first raised money to buy 93 acres, then improved the quarry road to the summit. A parkway around the bluff top completed the first phase of the project. Veterans of the First World War made improvements to the park by clearing brush and planting trees. Red Wing dedicated Memorial Park in the fall of 1929, and over the years the city secured more land for the reserve.