Police Chief

Ask the Chief

“Ask The Chief” is a weekly post allowing readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in the city of Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance our community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs, and the Department in general.

Submit your question to askthe.policechief@ci.red-wing.mn.us. 

View All Posts

Nov 26

November 26, 2018 - Home Security Systems

Posted on November 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM by Kate Berg

November 26, 2018

Ask the Chief

Q: How do I register my home security alarm with police?

Image of a home security system against an orange wall.

A: Thank you for this question.  With the advancement of technology in regards to home security, more and more homeowners are purchasing home security systems. The City of Red Wing has no requirement for you to register your home security system with the Police Department. 

Alarm monitoring companies will notify the applicable law enforcement agency dispatch center for response to alarms and will attempt to contact the homeowner. To aid the Red Wing Police Department with response to your residential alarms, we request that you notify Goodhue County Dispatch at their non-emergency number (651.385.3155) and provide them with contact information for a primary and secondary person to be notified in the event of an alarm. 

Self-dialing alarm systems that connect to your home Wi-fi system will automatically call a pre-programmed phone number. Under Minnesota Statute 609.78, it is illegal to have an “auto-dialing” system call 911. If you have purchased a self-dialing system, please contact your local law enforcement agency to see which number should be programmed into your self-dialing system. In the City of Red Wing, please utilize our non-emergency number: 651.385.3155.

Homeowners are responsible to maintain their alarm systems, as numerous false alarms could result in a nuisance alarm letter being sent to the homeowner. In the city of Red Wing, numerous false alarms may result in your property being declared disorderly and future false alarms, after a notification letter is sent, could result in the homeowner being billed for the response. Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office also has a nuisance alarm policy, therefore it is important to properly maintain your alarm system. 


1. Minnesota Statute #609.78, Emergency Telephone Calls and Communication. Located online at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.78

2. Red Wing City Code, Chapter 10, Public Protection, Crimes and Offenses.

Please Note:

Please feel free to share this Q & A on your social media sites or in your organization’s newsletter.