Deer Hunt Rules
Deer Hunt Program Rules
- Only antlerless deer may be harvested in/on Memorial Park, Coon Hill, Oakwood Cemetery, Mississippi National Golf Links (MNGL) and the Sand Hill water tower property, except as permitted by the Earn-A-Buck special hunt. Antlerless or antlered deer may be harvested on other City owned property that is open to deer hunting within an archery only zone.
- Hunting will only be allowed within areas marked by signs in Memorial Park, Coon Hill, Oakwood Cemetery, MNGL and the Sand Hill water tower property. Hunters must not discharge a bow within 150 feet of any inhabited structure without the written permission of the owner, occupant, or lessee.
- Archery only zones may contain private property and permission from property owners must be obtained. Written land owner permission slips must be carried on the hunter’s person at all times.
- Hunting, Scouting and Erecting Tree Stands on City property around the Mississippi National Golf Links will be prohibited until the golf course is closed for the season. After the golf course is officially closed for the season, but before December 1st of each year, archery hunting, scouting activities, and erecting deer stands on the golf course property may only occur before 11 a.m. on Monday through Fridays, and during legal shooting hours on Saturdays and Sundays. From December 1st to the end of the archery season, hunting and scouting activities will be allowed during legal shooting hours each day of the week. It is the hunter’s responsibility to confirm that the golf course has closed for the season. All Golf Course property east of Sevastopol Road South is closed to all hunting at all times - see hunting map for location. Updates for Status of Golf Course Closure for the season will be posted on the City website and at 4 Seasons Sports
- No hunting shall be allowed between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in Memorial Park or Coon Hill. Hunters leaving or entering those areas during these times shall keep their bow in a legal bow case at all times.
- No permanent tree stands shall be erected on City property. Portable stands shall not be placed on City property until after August 1st and must be removed no later than February 1st. Stands not removed by February 1st are subject to seizure and applicant may forfeit their ability to take part in the City of Red Wing Special Hunt for one year. Seized stands not claimed after 60-days may be disposed of by the City.
- While hunting on public property, all hunting must be done from at least five feet above the ground. Any time you are not 5 feet above the ground while on public property, your bow must be in a legal bow case as defined by state law.
- All entrails of deer shot on City property shall be removed intact or in containers/plastic bags and shall be disposed of properly.
- The 2018 Deer Hunt Application is your permission slip. It must be carried on the hunter’s person at all times while hunting or scouting on City property. The permission slip is granted for Memorial Park, Coon Hill, Oakwood Cemetery, MNGL and Sand Hill water tower property within the signed boundary areas only.
- All Minnesota DNR rules and regulations shall apply to this hunt in addition to City rules.
- All deer and other species harvested with the city permit shall be reported to Four Seasons Sports.
- The City of Red Wing shall not be liable for any personal injury or property damage suffered by the applicant while on city property. Further, the applicant will fully defend and indemnify the City of Red Wing from any claims, lawsuits, causes of action, or judgments arising or resulting from any activities of the applicant.
- Violation of any of these or any other applicable rules, regulations, ordinances, or directives of City officials immediately revokes the permission on City property and may result in criminal prosecution.
- All “Archery Only” zones will be part of the Special Hunt and hunters must apply for permits regardless of the land being public or private.
- “Archery Only” zones west of Bench Street only shall apply for all species that are hunted during the year and are not limited only to deer. Note: Rule Number 6 shall still apply if hunting City property.
- “Earn-A-Buck Program” shall allow a hunter to harvest a legal buck in Memorial Park, Oakwood Cemetery, Coon Hill, MNGL and the Sand Hill water tower property when they have harvested an antlerless deer in any “Archery Only” zone within the City limits of Red Wing. Earn-A-Buck restrictions shall only apply to City owned designated property within Earn-A-Buck zones. (See Earn-A-Buck Program Form for further details and requirements.)
- This Special Hunt permit is valid April 18, 2018 through December 31, 2018, unless revoked or altered by the City Council or authorized City official. Note: City of Red Wing Special Hunt deer hunt is only valid for 2018 DNR approved deer hunting season dates. All deer harvested under this program must be reported to Four Seasons Sports, or registered online or by telephone entering permit area code 977.