Deer Hunt Program
In response to deer complaints relating to flower and shrub destruction and traffic safety, the City of Red Wing established an archery deer hunting program in the 1990s. The program implemented deer hunting within areas previously closed to all hunting. In 1998, through the use of Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Bonus Permits, the program was extended to allow hunters to harvest up to five deer each.
Every year, City staff works with State of Minnesota Department of Natural Resources officials to evaluate the previous year's hunt statistics and recommends changes. Applicants are encouraged to be familiar with all rules and requirements for the Special Hunt. The 2019 Special Hunt was approved by the City Council on March 25, 2019.
Permits can be obtained Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at:
Four Season Sports
2301 Old W Main Street
Red Wing, MN 55066
The special deer hunt permit is valid in accordance with Minnesota DNR regulations. For more information, please contact the City of Red Wing at 651-385-3674. View the full list of rules (PDF).
Permission to hunt on public property with archery will be granted for Memorial Park, Coon Hill, Oakwood Cemetery, Mississippi National Golf Links (MNGL) and the Sand Hill water tower area only through this application process. View the Red Wing Deer Hunt Map (PDF) or access the City of Red Wing's GIS Web Mapping for property/parcel ownership information and aerial photos.
Dates / Times
- This Special Hunt is valid from April 17, 2019, through December 31, 2019, in accordance with Minnesota DNR regulations. Note: deer hunting is only allowed during the 2019 DNR-approved deer hunting season dates (09/14/2019 through 12/31/2019).
- No hunting shall be allowed between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in Memorial Park or Coon Hill.
- Hunting, scouting and erecting tree stands on City property around the Mississippi National Golf Links is prohibited until after the course is closed for the season.
- After the golf course is officially closed for the season, but before December 1 of each year, archery hunting, scouting activities and erecting deer stands on the golf course property may only occur before 11 a.m. on Monday through Friday, and during legal shooting hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
- From December 1 to the end of the archery season, hunting and scouting activities will be allowed during legal shooting hours each day of the week.
- It is the hunter's responsibility to confirm that the golf course has closed for the season.
There is a non-refundable $20 fee for the permit.
- Proof of successful completion of an Archery Proficiency Test from Four Seasons Sports Shop in Red Wing (proficiency test shall consist of 8 shots, 4 shots at a spot target and 4 shots at a deer target and 3 out of 4 passing shots at each target must be made)
- Minnesota DNR 2019 archery license
- $20 Non-refundable fee
"Earn A Buck" Program
The Earn-a-Buck program allows a hunter to harvest a legal buck in Memorial Park, Oakwood Cemetery, Coon Hill, MNGL and the Sand Hill water tower area when they have harvested an antlerless deer in any “Archery Only” Zone within the City limits of Red Wing. After a hunter has harvested an antlerless deer, they must have the Earn-a-Buck form filled out with verification of an antlerless deer harvested. This must be verified and signed at Four Season Sports, or other authorized City or DNR staff.
The authorization form can be signed Monday through Friday at the Public Works Building or any time at the Police Department. The Special Hunt permit is valid April 17, 2019, through December 31, 2019, in accordance with Minnesota DNR regulations. For more information on the City Special Hunt, contact Public Works at 651-385-3674.