Short-Term Rentals

Owners of short-term rentals, such as VRBOs or Airbnbs, in Red Wing must apply with the City to receive an Interim Use Permit (for non-owner-occupied rental units) or a Certificate of Compliance (for owner-occupied units). Both categories can apply with the same form. This licensing process is established by Ordinance No. 203 and Ordinance No. 204, both effective November 4, 2023.

The application below can be printed and submitted by fax at 651.388.4782 or emailed to Planning Manager Steve Kohn or Permits & License Manager Lisa Acker. Printed applications can also be picked up and dropped off at the Community Development Department at 419 Bush St. between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

The Hotel and Motel Sales Tax Return Form found below must be submitted for all approved short-term rentals.


Process and Timeline Guidance Documents

Frequently Asked Questions

State-Level Information and Resources

A license is required for businesses in Minnesota that provide overnight sleeping accommodations as defined in Minn. Stat. 157.15. The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) licenses Hotels or Motels and Vacation Home Rentals. Rental units rented for a period of time less than one week are considered a hotel/morel regardless of whether they are a single-family home, rental unit, or rooms in an owner-occupied home.

Applicants can obtain the required New Construction Plan Review Application (PDF) online. You need to complete pages 1, 2, and 4 (only fill in the brief description of the project box at the bottom) for a lodging unit. Plan review fees are $375 with MDH, and the license fee is an additional annual fee with MDH. Fees are being prorated by MDH for the remainder of 2023, and licenses run January-December of each calendar year.

Initial short-term rental inspections will be conducted by MDH at least two weeks prior to intended opening. Owners/operators will need to contact MDH to set up this inspection. The current local contact for Goodhue County is Andrea Kieffer, Health Sanitarian III, who can be reached by phone at 507.206.2721 or by email at

Below are the links to additional licensing information for MDH.  

Short-term rental operators will need to obtain a tax ID number for their business from the Minnesota Department of Revenue.